Sunday, November 7, 2010

Living in the South...

I never thought I would be living in the southern United States. Having only lived two years outside of the state of Michigan, I was completely accustomed to four seasons, cool weather during football games, a summer weekend on Mackinac Island and eating at a Coney Island restaurant after a night at the bar.

I moved to Fort Lauderdale, Florida to begin a master's program in public health. South Florida is arguably not truly "The South", as its population is a composite of people from all around the US and the world. There is also a notable difference between "SoFlo" and the rest of Florida. Life seems to be at a faster pace than in other parts. Perhaps this is because of the transplantation of many former New Yorkers to the warmer shores of South Florida; maybe it's due to some hidden societal race that a Michigander like me, will never understand.

Between the cities of Fort Lauderdale and Miami, I would choose Fort Lauderdale nine times out of ten. Why? My gut instinct tells me that Fort Lauderdale is more about the South Florida experience: beaches, babes, warm nights and just letting your worries melt away. Miami, at times, feels as if it was trying its hardest to replicate New York City's fast paced, posh and individualistic fight for life. Instead of focusing and embracing the nexus of Cuban, South American, Haitian and US culture, Miami seems to be focusing on consumerism, materialism and superficiality. Maybe there is some hidden corner of Miami that embraces the opposite and truly incorporates culture and what I would imagine, the quintessential experience of South Florida. If it exists, I haven't found it yet.

I will concede that Miami's cuisine is superior to that of Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale's culinary offerings are nothing to scoff at, but the quantity and diversity of Miami cannot be denied and should be savored. Ignoring cuban sandwiches, West African influenced barbecue, Caribbean spices would be just that: Ignorant.

What would I consider a true southern experience? Only one city could come to mind: Savannah, Georgia.

I arrived there on hot and humid day. Perfect weather to experience a coastal southern city, the city that General Sherman burned his way to in his campaign to march to the sea during the American Civil War. Also, it used as the setting for the John Berendt non-fiction novel, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Life is a bit slower, as the humidity and heat are numbing. Despite that fact, I quite like Savannah, Georgia. The people, who have mostly moved on from their prejudices of a far by gone era, embrace their "Southern Heritage" and leave the impression of maintaining one of the few remaining bastions of politeness. And who could deny that ever-present southern accent; endearing, charming and soothing, especially coming from a beautiful southern belle.

I am not, however, in Savannah, Georgia. Fort Lauderdale has treated me very well thus far and I would not trade this experience. The people here know they are not living the true southern experience and are not attempting to replicate the experience that another city would offer. They have embraced the laid back, fun in the sun attitude that I expected. I look forward to discovering new places and hidden alcoves of existence in this captivating city.

But right now, I think I'm going to hit the beach...

No comments:

Post a Comment